tiistai 30. huhtikuuta 2013

Carol Rifka Brunt: Tell the wolves I'm home

Carol Rifka Brunt kertoo nuoruudesta ja kuoleman kohtaamisesta romaanissa Tell the wolves I'm home (Dial Press, 2012; ISBN 978-0-8129-9292-2). Teos on kehitysromaani ja luokiteltu nuortenkirjallisuudeksi, mutta teemat ovat isoja: ystävyys ja kuolema.


Luin kirjasta vain kolmasosan, alusta ja lopusta, sillä vähän kerrallaan alkoi tuntua että tiedän miten tässä kirjassa tulee tapahtumaan, mistä tässä pohjimmiltaan on kyse. Romaanissa kerrotaan kuolemaisillaan olevasta sedästä, joka maalaa teini-ikäisistä sisaruksista taulua, viimeisenä työnään, ja samalla kyse on sisarten välisestä kateudesta, ja ystävyydestä, voisi jopa sanoa rakkaudestakin:

My sister, Greta, and I were having our portrait painted by our uncle Finn that afternoon because he knew he was dying. This was after I understood that I wasn't going to grow up and move into his apartment and live there with him for the rest of my life. After I stopped believing that the AIDS thing was all some kind of big mistake. When he first asked, my mother said no. She said there was something macabre about it. When she thought of the two of us sitting in Finn's apartment with its huge windows and the scent of lavender and orange, when she thought of him looking at us like it might be the last time he would see us, she couldn't bear it. And, she said, it was a long drive from northern Westchester all the way into Manhattan. She crossed her arms over her chest, looked right into Finn's bird-blue eyes, and told him it was just hard to find the time these days.

"Tell me about it," he said.

That's what broke her.


Niin, ja merkittävää roolia esittää myös AIDS, syy sedän kuolemaan, ja on mukana tietysti myös sedän miesystävä, "joka tappoi sedän". Ja vaikka olin ymmärtävinäni, miten tarinassa tulee käymään, oli loppu silti jonkinlainen yllätys, kasvusta ihmiseksi tässä oli kyse, ja syyllinen sedän kuolemaan, ei sellaista sitten ollutkaan, tai ainakaan syyllinen ei ollut se josta niin ajateltiin.

Susista kirjassa myös puhutaan, tai ovatko nekään susia, ja teekannusta myös on kyse, sen merkityksestä, kohtalosta, ja niin kuin ihmisten elämässä on laita, viisauden hinta ei ole halpa.

Niin, musiikista myös kerrotaan, siitä mitä Mozartin Requiem oikeastaan sisältääkään:

The Requiem was a secret between me and Finn. Just the two of us. We didn't even need to look at each other when he put it on. We both understood. He'd taken me to a concert at a beautiful church on 84th Street once and told me to close my eyes and listen. That's when I first heard it. That's when I first fell in love with that music.

"It creeps up on you, doesn't it," he'd said. "It lulls you into thinking it's pleasant and harmless, it bumbles along, and then all of a sudden, boom, there it is rising up all menacing. All big drums and high screaming strings and deep dark voices. Then just as fast it backs right down again. See, Crocodile? See?"

Ei kommentteja: